Check out my published content!
Google
 

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sunset on the Louisiana marsh...

After a successful sea-trial on a 1998 Hunter 340 today, my buddy asked me to go with him by mud boat to his duck hunting lease in the marshes of South Louisiana. He wanted to go down there and check out where the ducks were feeding, and what the grass seed (duck food) situation was where he hunts. I can only say that the beauty of that area at sunset is nothing short of breathtaking. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera. However, this is a picture I took about a year ago not too far from there:


Believe me when I say that as beautiful as that picture is, it didn't hold a candle to tonight's sunset. There is just something magical about being in a place so intimate with nature, a place man rarely goes. The wildlife was more curious about us than afraid of us, and I'm sure at least mildly amused the handful of times we grounded the boat.

As an avid boater, I think its important to take time every once in a while and appreciate the gift we've been given as marine mammals to enjoy the water. It covers 80% of our planet, and yet 100% of the Earth's population is jammed into the 20% that's dry. What a waste of space! Yes, I'm probably biased, but I think nature's magnificence is most readily revealed away from the land and the lights and the pollution. If you haven't lost sight of the shore in a while, you owe it to yourself to do so!

No comments: